Friday, April 15, 2011

Fanny Crosby

Have you ever considered what life would be like if you were blind? Always living in darkness, and never to see a sunrise or a sunset, or that comforting sight of a mothers face? That was the world Fanny Crosby lived in.

At the early age of six weeks old, little Fanny Crosby had lost her earthly sense of sight through an eye infection and unfortunate procedure gone wrong, with no hope of ever regaining it. She was one year old when her father died, and she was brought up by her godly mother and grandmother, who grounded her in the Protestant Christian principles. The foundation that Fanny obtained throughout her childhood made her character, and became the gateway for her talent to be used for the glory of God.

Young Sister Crosby never allowed her lack of sight to be a hindrance, but a blessing, and once wrote this little poem at the age of nine:
Display content

Oh what a happy soul I am, Although I cannot see; I am resolved that in this world Contented I will be. How many blessings I enjoy, That other people don't; To weep and sigh because I'm blind, I cannot, and I won't."

By the early age of eight, she had begun to write poems, and later in her life was given inspiration to write songs that still flood the world of gospel hymnals. Through her awe inspiring songs, she gained much glory and praise from people great and small throughout the world and even performed before many famous dignitaries, including presidents and generals. Even though Fanny had all the popularity and fame one could ask for, she remained a humble servant of the Lord and devoted much of her life to serving the poor and needy, never selling out to the money and filth of the world. It is said that she made the following remarks; “It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me. When I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior.”

What a talented little lady God used to bring such inspiring hymns into churches and homes throughout the world, so that He could be praised. Even God’s prophet, Brother William Branham, loved to sing these old hymns that this humble, blind sister wrote years ago.



If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.



Get Inspirational Stories updates delivered straight to your inbox

Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to Subscribe to FREE email updates from "Be Inspired Today", so that you do not miss out anything that can Inspire you!!!

Widget by Everything About Blogging

0 Responses to “Fanny Crosby”

Post a Comment